Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word 16.40 (20081000) crashes on save OSX 10.15.6

Word 16.40 (20081000) crashes on save OSX 10.15.6. The only way I've found to fix this is to completely shut down and restart the computer. This works for a while, but the problem returns at an unpredictable time. I suspect it must be some log type file that is being corrupted, or some overloading of some memory limit - which goes to illustrate I am stumbling around in the dark!! Any suggestions, beyond waiting for the new OSX or patches from Microsoft? MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016), 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 2:24 PM

I'm using the same version of Word and Catalina with no issues. You may want to check the Microsoft Word for Mac forum. I just looked briefly and found the following discussion which may have something that will help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-crashes/e79b379e-32b1-4622-a27c-d98cf9bb1bd8

You may want to search for other ideas on that forum or post a question there as well as here.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 2:24 PM in response to boatjames

I'm using the same version of Word and Catalina with no issues. You may want to check the Microsoft Word for Mac forum. I just looked briefly and found the following discussion which may have something that will help: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-crashes/e79b379e-32b1-4622-a27c-d98cf9bb1bd8

You may want to search for other ideas on that forum or post a question there as well as here.

Sep 7, 2020 4:22 PM in response to boatjames

Did you do anything or install anything prior to this beginning? Here is one thing that often clears up a multitude of things. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key on restart. Fully opening the computer can take up to ten minutes while the OS is fixing thing things and cleaning its caches. Then do a test to see if it is cleared. Then restart the computer normally and see what happens. If it's still there, let us know and some other things can be suggested.

Word 16.40 (20081000) crashes on save OSX 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.