Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac turns off randomly

My 27-inch, 2017 IMac randomly turns off and doesn't turn back on unless I unplug it from the outlet. Any ideas that is causing this issue or what I can do to fix it?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:34 PM

Boreyes95 Said:

"iMac turns off randomly: My 27-inch, 2017 IMac randomly turns off and doesn't turn back on unless I unplug it from the outlet. Any ideas that is causing this issue or what I can do to fix it?"

-------

I. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power and for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports, or your battery may not be charging affectively. By reseting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be.

II. Perform this Reset Thrice:

Note that you may need to perform each thrice. This can be time consuming, to be certain you have the time to do so.

III. References on Power Issues:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2020 9:34 PM in response to Boreyes95

Boreyes95 Said:

"iMac turns off randomly: My 27-inch, 2017 IMac randomly turns off and doesn't turn back on unless I unplug it from the outlet. Any ideas that is causing this issue or what I can do to fix it?"

-------

I. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for Power and for Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Your power adapter may not be being seen promptly by the ports, or your battery may not be charging affectively. By reseting these, all of the ports would be configured to how they should be.

II. Perform this Reset Thrice:

Note that you may need to perform each thrice. This can be time consuming, to be certain you have the time to do so.

III. References on Power Issues:

Sep 7, 2020 9:44 PM in response to Boreyes95

Boreyes95 Said:

-------

Uninstall Security Software:

• Any Security Software Installed?:

If you have any Security Software installed, then uninstall it. It may be putting your Mac to sleep or make it overheat, being that it is constantly running in the background.

• Where to Get the Uninstaller:

Get the Uninstaller from none other than the Developer. Getting it elsewhere may result in malware or spyware being installed. Security Software just gets in the way on a Mac, and this is a pure example of how and why. Contact the Developer to find out which is the correct uninstaller to use, and ask how to successfully, fully uninstall it.

• Source:

View this Posts Solution: My iMac keeps crashing! Catalina 10.15.5 - Apple Support

iMac turns off randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.