Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2013 27" turns off.

iMac 2013 27" turns off after some minutes of use. Only way I can restart is by turning the power off then on. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 7:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 3:48 PM

Well you have made a pretty good mess of your system. You have 3 antivirus apps installed when normally zero are necessary. You have:

1. CleanMyMac
  2. MacKeeper
  3. MalwareBytes

Please uninstall 1 & 2 and if the computer begins running okay you can keep MalwareBytes. The first two are considered malware and can damage Mac OS. Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and does not require nor does it benefit from any antivirus, cleaning or any other type of third party "maintenance" apps.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 3:48 PM in response to blazecat

Well you have made a pretty good mess of your system. You have 3 antivirus apps installed when normally zero are necessary. You have:

1. CleanMyMac
  2. MacKeeper
  3. MalwareBytes

Please uninstall 1 & 2 and if the computer begins running okay you can keep MalwareBytes. The first two are considered malware and can damage Mac OS. Mac OS is EXTREMELY secure and does not require nor does it benefit from any antivirus, cleaning or any other type of third party "maintenance" apps.

Sep 24, 2019 9:08 PM in response to blazecat

Please navigate to the Mac App Store or navigate to www.Etrecheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you have you downloaded the app and installed it, please run the report and save it. This report will help us get a good idea what has been installed on your system and help us be able to diagnose what may be wrong.

When you have your report, you can attach it when you reply to this message and we can then review it and help you determine what is needed to get your system running well again. 

For instructions on how to download your EtreCheck report and attach it to your reply to this message please click https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211

Oct 6, 2019 6:56 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you rkaufman87 for all your help. I have erased and wiped the system clean. I am unable to restore the data files from my Time Machine back up because from 'OS X Utilities' , 'Restore from Time Machine Back ups', "Data" on Network "Airport - Time-Capsule" when I click on connect, it asks me for a password so that Time machine can access it. I have tried every possible password I could possibly think of, but cannot get past this requirement. How could I get around this?

Oct 6, 2019 7:54 PM in response to blazecat

I also have this problem, it's been driving me mad bonkers! Now apparently it's an issue with the 'power board' and you can get it replaced, I think it costs around £250 to do so, but is cheaper than a whole new motherboard ofc. I haven't replaced mine yet but intend to, as the problem is maddening!

iMac 2013 27" turns off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.