Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMEI shows invalid

I purchased iPhone 6 in 2015 from Pensacola Apple store . Now need to get the battery replaced . Approached Apple center , and they said IMEI is invalid . Now am stuck . Can you suggest what to do ?

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 9:58 PM

5 replies

Sep 8, 2020 9:05 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi

Visited apple store and got below surprising info

• The phone was purchased in 2015 , but as per Apple records it was replaced in Feb 2016 . So this phone that I have should actually be in the stock ! As per records a phone was given to me whose IMEI is active !

However , I NEVER got the phone replaced . If it were , why is this phone not with Apple ? Visits to Apple center haven’t been useful and am surprised how can records show a replacement when none was done ! Can you tell whom to contact as this seems deep

Sep 8, 2020 8:21 AM in response to shivani3008

Although the IMEI is only used for identifying the phone (sort of like a MAC address for phones) and has no permanent or semi-permanent relation to the subscriber, this number is also used by the cellular provider to identify valid devices and therefore can be used for stopping a stolen phone from being accessed.

You mentioned that you purchased this (new) phone from an Apple Store. I suggest you provide the Apple (repair) center with a copy of your sales receipt.

IMEI shows invalid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.