Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Adobe Systems software, in particular The pdf reader is not compatible with recently installed mac OS Catalina

How can I upgrade to 64-bit Adobe Systems software compatible with recently installed OS Catalina?

I want to read files sent to me in pdf format and am looking for a Free option.

Regards

OZ1072

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 12:24 AM

7 replies

Oct 23, 2020 12:12 PM in response to dina221

In Safar browser View menu, enable Show Status bar. When you pass your pointer over a website PDF link, the status of that link path will appear bottom-left in the Safari browser. If the end of that link ends in .pdf, then you should be able to view the PDF in Safari via the built-in PDF plug-in, or download the PDF using a right-click on the link, and then selecting one of the download options.

Some websites may be using a content manager, and this allows them to assign aliases on the web site that point to the actual PDF file location on their site. That way, if the PDF name changes, that alias will still act on the PDF, when you click the link. These aliases will not end in .pdf.

Once you have the PDF on your local drive, then it would be your choice of the operating system supplied Preview application, or the current Adobe Acrobat Reader DC that is compatible with Catalina.

Oct 23, 2020 12:11 PM in response to OZ1072

The Acrobat Reader DC is free. All you need to down is download it to replace your out-of-date version. Click the center, yellow download button, not the right one for the Pro version trial software.

Yes, Preview comes with the OS and can open/read PDF files. The advantage of Adobe's Reader is Preview is always a good two versions behind PDF standards. The problem people have with Preview most often is it either fails to properly display a PDF created under a newer specification, or they can't fill out forms.

My Adobe Systems software, in particular The pdf reader is not compatible with recently installed mac OS Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.