Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer of photos to iCloud

There are 6300 pictures on my phone and I want to upload them to iCloud. I have started to use 50 GB of iCloud storage, therefore, it must be enough to store 6300 pictures and videos (in total about 20 GB). How can I transfer all the pictures to iCloud or are the files uploaded in iCloud automatically?

Moreover, I have transferred some old pictures and videos to my MacBook, making it total about 9000. Can they also be transferred to iCloud?

Finally, knowing that my pictures and videos are stored in iCloud, can I easily access them from my phone/laptop by just opening Photos? Or I should go to iCloud.com?

Thank you very much

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 8:49 AM

Be aware that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. You can sync both your iPhone and your Mac photos to iCloud (and to each other). It happens automatically after you turn the option on but may take quite awhile for the first sync.

More information -- see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 8:49 AM in response to KseniaAntonova

Be aware that iCloud Photos is a syncing service. Any photo you delete from a device where iCloud Photos is turned on will also be deleted from iCloud and from any other device connected to iCloud Photos. You can potentially reduce the storage space required on a device by turning on Optimize Storage. You can sync both your iPhone and your Mac photos to iCloud (and to each other). It happens automatically after you turn the option on but may take quite awhile for the first sync.

More information -- see: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

Apple does not currently offer cloud-only storage for photos. If that is what you want or need, you may want to explore 3rd party options such as Google Photos or Dropbox.

Transfer of photos to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.