Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB-C Drive crashing 2020 MacBook Pro 16"

The question has been asked before, see link below. Not sure if it has been resolved, so I'll ask it again.

I have an external USB-C SSD (Icy box enclosure 1817Ma-C31, Adata SX8200 pro ssd). It connects through USB-C and Black magic disk speed test does indicate the expected transfer speed - for less than a minute. Than it freezes or crashes my laptop. Same with any other use through USB-C connection.

If I use a Satechi adapter and connect the external SSD to a rectangular USB3 connection, I get R/W speeds of about 450 MB/s and can work on it for hours.

Any idea how I can get the USB-C connection to work? I tries reinstalling macOS and resetting SMC, to no avail. Thanks for any help!

Link to the older post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251255002?answerId=252423113022#252423113022

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 11:14 AM

Turned out the crashes were caused by two events:

• One of the thunderbolt ports ports on my MacBook was not well placed and needed repair.
  • The 2TB SX8200 Pro is NOT compatible with the IcyBox enclosures IB-1817M-C31 or IB-1817Ma-C31.

Having the thunderbolt ports fixed, the drive problem persisted, but the MacBook did not crash anymore. The drive simply stopped responding. When using another enclosure, the drive works just fine.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 11:14 AM in response to jerope

Turned out the crashes were caused by two events:

• One of the thunderbolt ports ports on my MacBook was not well placed and needed repair.
  • The 2TB SX8200 Pro is NOT compatible with the IcyBox enclosures IB-1817M-C31 or IB-1817Ma-C31.

Having the thunderbolt ports fixed, the drive problem persisted, but the MacBook did not crash anymore. The drive simply stopped responding. When using another enclosure, the drive works just fine.

Sep 8, 2020 11:19 AM in response to jerope

jerope wrote:

The question has been asked before, see link below. Not sure if it has been resolved, so I'll ask it again.

I have an external USB-C SSD (Icy box enclosure 1817Ma-C31, Adata SX8200 pro ssd). It connects through USB-C and Black magic disk speed test does indicate the expected transfer speed - for less than a minute. Than it freezes or crashes my laptop. Same with any other use through USB-C connection.

If I use a Satechi adapter and connect the external SSD to a rectangular USB3 connection, I get R/W speeds of about 450 MB/s and can work on it for hours.

Any idea how I can get the USB-C connection to work? I tries reinstalling macOS and resetting SMC, to no avail. Thanks for any help!

Link to the older post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251255002?answerId=252423113022#252423113022

Does not sound like it is compatible—

You can contact the developer and see if there is update...

External USB-C Drive crashing 2020 MacBook Pro 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.