Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Was given a MacBook air but it is activation locked I can't get the previous owner

Can I bypass the activation lock on a macbook

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 2:54 PM

Said :terrylamb1967b

"Was given a MacBook air but it is activation locked I can't get the previous owne: Can I bypass the activation lock on a macbook"

-------

Getting your Money Back:

Seems like a scam., though an assumption on my part. Next time, request a Logout.

A. Take this as a learning experience:

The next time you purchase an Apple device, then make sure that you can log into it. Have the original user use this site: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac Apple Support.

B. Before Buying:

Request that you are able to log into it, and assign it to your account, prior to having over the money. If the seller dis-abides by those rules, then do not proceed with the purchase.

C. Returning this to the Seller:

Where was this Purchased?:

• A Retailer: If purchased at a retail store - talk to the store manager and see if a refund is an option.

• A Web site: If purchased on a Web site (i.e. eBay), view the Terms & Conditions and see what can be sone on their part, if they did not abide by the rules.

• In-Person: If purchased in-person, and they do not get back to you, then there may be nothing you can do. That's just the way it is :(

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2020 2:54 PM in response to terrylamb1967b

Said :terrylamb1967b

"Was given a MacBook air but it is activation locked I can't get the previous owne: Can I bypass the activation lock on a macbook"

-------

Getting your Money Back:

Seems like a scam., though an assumption on my part. Next time, request a Logout.

A. Take this as a learning experience:

The next time you purchase an Apple device, then make sure that you can log into it. Have the original user use this site: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac Apple Support.

B. Before Buying:

Request that you are able to log into it, and assign it to your account, prior to having over the money. If the seller dis-abides by those rules, then do not proceed with the purchase.

C. Returning this to the Seller:

Where was this Purchased?:

• A Retailer: If purchased at a retail store - talk to the store manager and see if a refund is an option.

• A Web site: If purchased on a Web site (i.e. eBay), view the Terms & Conditions and see what can be sone on their part, if they did not abide by the rules.

• In-Person: If purchased in-person, and they do not get back to you, then there may be nothing you can do. That's just the way it is :(

Sep 8, 2020 2:21 PM in response to terrylamb1967b

No, you cannot. You need to contact the previous owner to have it removed, or else you have a fancy paperweight. That's the whole point of Activation Lock.

The only exception is for organization-managed Macs (e.g. company-provided) where the organization is the actual owner. If the Mac is enrolled in Mobile Device Management (MDM), the Activation Lock can be removed – but the Mac must have been enrolled in the enterprise MDM program prior to Activation Lock being activated. The idea there is if an employee leaves the company and fails to deactivate with their AppleID, the company is not left with a dead computer.

Was given a MacBook air but it is activation locked I can't get the previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.