Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to charge the pencil without removing the iPad from the case?

I have a Generation 2 Apple Pencil and an iPad Pro 11inch 2020. I have my ipad in a case and it won't charge the pencil unless I remove the case. This is annoying and I'd love to know if there is a way to charge the pencil without removing the ipad from the case every single time.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 8, 2020 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:25 PM

Thanks but I have a case that has the cut out for the pencil. The problem seems to be that there is a space between the side of the case and the pencil and it doesn't fully connect to the side. The magnet is strong enough to hold the pencil in place even when in a backpack through the case, but doesn't seem to be strong enough to actually charge it. Very confusing, but thanks for your help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 2:25 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks but I have a case that has the cut out for the pencil. The problem seems to be that there is a space between the side of the case and the pencil and it doesn't fully connect to the side. The magnet is strong enough to hold the pencil in place even when in a backpack through the case, but doesn't seem to be strong enough to actually charge it. Very confusing, but thanks for your help.

Sep 9, 2020 5:47 AM in response to Condygurl

The second generation Apple Pencil requires physical contact with the magnetic dock to pair/charge. If your case doesn’t allow the Pencil to dock with the iPad, the case wasn’t designed to allow use of the Apple Pencil.

Some case manufacturers, such as STM, manufacture cases that are specifically designed to accommodate the Pencil and permit charging.

Is there a way to charge the pencil without removing the iPad from the case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.