Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limited storage space

I have 500GB of storage on my mac, and lately have had messages saying I'm out of disk space. I've put all my documents and photos onto the cloud so can't understand what the issue is. When I open settings it tells me I only have 8GB storage left - however when I click to see the breakdown of the 500Gb storage, there is 244Gb listed as "Other" which is greyed out and I can't click into to see what it contains. Has anyone else had this issue?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 3:24 AM

You may get help here --> How to free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 9, 2020 2:01 PM in response to mattymusicman

I think you may be right - I can't seem to update the software - it's in a constant loop telling me I need to restart before install and after restart nothing happens and it says the same thing to restart! I've tried to reinstall but when I tried and got the reinstall screen upon restarting it says it can't download the OS because disk space is full! Even though now I don't have a single doc saved locally :( Is this a virus and what do I need to do, could you please help?

Sep 9, 2020 2:03 PM in response to LD150

Thanks Peter, Do you think 250gb of "other" can be right? I tried the link and how to work out how much space I actually have but I now don't have anything showing up in my desktop - no files or anything at all! I tried to reinstall and I can't even update the software now as it's telling me I'm out of diskspace even though I've literally put every single doc in the cloud!

Sep 9, 2020 4:22 PM in response to rina51

Double check your iCloud settings. Make sure "Optimize Mac Storage" is enabled.

If you are willing to try something in the Terminal, you can try running the following command:

/usr/bin/tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 10000000000 4

And press enter. This will delete the local snapshots that are holding onto all your deleted files. This should reclaim a lot of that storage.

Limited storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.