Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

storage issues

Hello! I have a real problem on my macbook, and that problem is that all the other storage on my mac takes up 3x as much space as everything else combined, with exactly 89.5 GB taken up. This has been interfering with my YouTube channel and a little with school. In fact, I can't even update my computer! I looked up online how to clear it up, but this is not helping . If someone can help me out some other way that would be AMAZING!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2020 12:13 PM

Under the apple logo click about this mac

go to storage

then manage storage

in a while....... you will get a guide with several colors indicating what exactly is on your macbook drive

there is a manage storage option were you can delete huge files you don't need often.

i only delete files that i know i stored on my macbook like movies, photos and art work.

instead of files that you need to run catalina.

BUT FIRST

time machine your macbook, im doing that now on mine, and have 2 hours left!

i hoped this helped

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2020 12:13 PM in response to sanjeev202

Under the apple logo click about this mac

go to storage

then manage storage

in a while....... you will get a guide with several colors indicating what exactly is on your macbook drive

there is a manage storage option were you can delete huge files you don't need often.

i only delete files that i know i stored on my macbook like movies, photos and art work.

instead of files that you need to run catalina.

BUT FIRST

time machine your macbook, im doing that now on mine, and have 2 hours left!

i hoped this helped

Oct 7, 2020 12:38 PM in response to sanjeev202

Welcome, sanjeev202, to Apple Support Communities!

I helped someone, recently, with a somewhat similar issue (though not as much storage taken up by the “Other” storage category).

First, the storage categories given under “About this Mac” -> Storage are simply named categories of various types of files, and the “Other” storage category is simply the “catch-all” for everything that doesn’t match any of the other named storage categories.

There are a number of ways to find large files under many of the other named storage categories. Unfortunately, one needs some sort of third-party software to find some of the large files in the “Other” category, and, even then, there is no way of knowing whether one is actually dealing with the files that were shown under the “Other” category.

However, there is a free and well respected (around here) utility that you can use that can allow you, and us, to help diagnose issues on your Mac: see Etrecheck - the handy reporting tool for … - Apple Community.

Obtain the Free version of Etrecheck from the Mac App Store, install and run it on your system, and post the report text here, using the “Extra Text” button, in your reply.

Also, always follow the advice given by snowleapard2020: “only delete files that [you] know [you] stored on [your] macbook like movies, photos and art work. instead of files that you need to run catalina.”

storage issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.