Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted messages in ICloud - gone forever??

I tried something new and allowed my messages to backup in the ICloud. I deleted several (many) out of the ICloud and realized it just wasn't what I wanted to do. I turned off the message sync and prompted it to download everything back to my phone. Wasn't paying attention. There was an automatic backup this morning and this afternoon I realized 80% of my text messages are now gone.

1. They are gone forever aren't they :(
  2. Would the backup delete old stuff and replace with new, thus also deleting what was there?
  3. Can I restore from an old back up/just restore messages.

This *****. I wish it was clearer what happened with these things. There are huge gaps in time in the stuff that is left, like missing everything after 2017 type of gap. I have no idea what I did.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 5:01 PM

If you were using messages in iCloud -- Keep all your messages in iCloud - Apple Support and deleted those messages, then they are permanently gone.

1 reply

Deleted messages in ICloud - gone forever??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.