Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacAir Keyboard not working

I have a MacBook Air 2019 and I cannot log in because my keyboard isnt working. what can I do to fix this?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 7:49 PM

kjs_107 Said:

"MacAir Keyboard not working: I have a MacBook Air 2019 and I cannot log in because my keyboard isnt working. what can I do to fix this?"

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 7:49 PM in response to kjs_107

kjs_107 Said:

"MacAir Keyboard not working: I have a MacBook Air 2019 and I cannot log in because my keyboard isnt working. what can I do to fix this?"

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

What it could be is the power management settings. Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

Oct 6, 2020 2:42 PM in response to KeylessB

KeylessB Said:

"In the last two days the I have woken up to find that keyboard on my Macbook Air is not working, which means that I cannot log in. This has happened once before. We tried all of the suggested resets but when the keyboard does not work they do not work. On each occasion the keyboard has eventually started working again, but we have no idea why. When it is working it is fine, it has not been damaged in any way. Is this a hardware or software fault and what can be done to fix it?"

-------

Reinstall the macOS:

This is an inconsistent error, and it is occurring intermittently, correct?

If So, then you need to Reinstall the macOS:

Sometimes, changes are made to your Mac (i.e. Updates), and then settings (i.e. for Keyboard), become manipulated, technically. So, reinstalling the macOS will place moved items back to where they should be, and will replace damaged system files.

1. First, Back up your Mac:

Create a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall.

2. Then, Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple Support

Oct 6, 2020 4:29 AM in response to kjs_107

In the last two days the I have woken up to find that keyboard on my Macbook Air is not working, which means that I cannot log in. This has happened once before. We tried all of the suggested resets but when the keyboard does not work they do not work. On each occasion the keyboard has eventually started working again, but we have no idea why. When it is working it is fine, it has not been damaged in any way. Is this a hardware or software fault and what can be done to fix it?

MacAir Keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.