Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monitor Resolution Problems in Mohave

I have a late 2013 Mac Pro with an LG 32" 4k monitor, and was previously on Mavericks. The monitor looked great at 2560 x 1440, with clear text and icons. In Mojave, that resolution is unavailable, and the closest thing to it is 2440 x ? (I forgot because I went back to Mavericks). This 2440 resolution looked terrible in Mojave, and the LG monitor showed text warnings that this resolution is not recommended. My only choices in Mojave were 1920 x1080, which made everything huge, with no real estate in my apps, or 3200 x 1800 which made the font on the menu bar impossible to read without a magnifying glass.

Can anyone give me a solution to this problem so I can try to upgrade to Mojave again? Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 11:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 11:47 PM

I found out what the problem was. Even though my LG 32UD59 monitor was bought only 3 years ago, Mojave didn't have a driver for it. I bought a new 2k monitor, Mojave recognizes it and it works fine. I think there could be better updates from LG to Apple - that monitor is too new to be obsolete in Mojave.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 11:47 PM in response to mango3

I found out what the problem was. Even though my LG 32UD59 monitor was bought only 3 years ago, Mojave didn't have a driver for it. I bought a new 2k monitor, Mojave recognizes it and it works fine. I think there could be better updates from LG to Apple - that monitor is too new to be obsolete in Mojave.

Sep 10, 2020 1:50 AM in response to mango3

System Preferences> Displays> Display Normally you would use Default for Display.

Have you tried Scaled, or for more options hold down the Control key while selecting Scaled.

How is the mac connected to the LG 4k monitor. There are often settings on the 4K monitors

to enable use of higher resolutions.

I have a Sony 4k TV connected by HDMI, there is an HDMI Signal Format setting which

if you want to use as at higher resolutions has to be set to Enhanced.

Perhaps there is a similar setting on the LG.

Sep 10, 2020 2:23 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for your reply. Actually for me it's the option key which shows more resolution choices, and the 2440 resolution can only be seen this way. It also has (low resolution) shown after the numbers, as do all the resolutions seen when using the option key. My monitor is also connected by HDMI, but there are no settings having to do with resolution, only different color options, and definition settings. In Mavericks, all the definitions look fine, just personal taste. In Mohave, there is no definition setting that looks good - it's a mess. All I can think of, is that somewhere between Mavericks and Mohave, Apple changed a driver which makes this monitor incompatible with a 2440 resolution, and changing to that resolution causes the monitor to show warning badges. Maybe I'll have to find a different monitor which is OK with 2440 if I want to upgrade to Mojave.

Sep 10, 2020 3:55 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for your reply. I called LG today and was told that they don't make drivers for Mac - the drivers for LG monitors are included in the Mac OS. In System Preferences/ Displays, all the resolutions are different in Mavericks than they are in Mojave. The only resolution common to both is 1920 x 1080. That's what makes me think that Apple must have changed the driver sometime after Mavericks.

Monitor Resolution Problems in Mohave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.