Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Correct Screen Resolution

Please forgive me but I don’t understand much about monitors and screen resolution. I have a 32” LG monitor attached to a 2013 MacPro. The screen resolution for this monitor is 3840x2140. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort. When I change the settings in System Preferences to match the monitor res the windows and fonts on the screen become very small. Is there a way to keep the resolution and maintain the larger size of the finder windows or is it that I won’t get to utilize the full resolution unless all the windows, fonts and icons are smaller? This is probably common knowledge so I apologize. I really am thankful for any information.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 5:57 PM

Is there a way to keep the resolution and maintain the larger size of the finder windows

No, there is not unfortunately. The screen (resolution) is made up of pixels, so with a 1900x1200 resolution, you have 1900 pixels horizontally and 1200 vertically. The higher the resolution numbers, the smaller the pixels in order to fit all of them into the same size display. When the pixels get smaller, your fonts will as well as they are also made up of pixels. The only way to get a larger system font in your Finder windows is to lower the resolution which will result in a less crisp/sharp picture. You can go to Finder > View > Show View Options and change the minimum size which will help some.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 5:57 PM in response to gentlejag

Is there a way to keep the resolution and maintain the larger size of the finder windows

No, there is not unfortunately. The screen (resolution) is made up of pixels, so with a 1900x1200 resolution, you have 1900 pixels horizontally and 1200 vertically. The higher the resolution numbers, the smaller the pixels in order to fit all of them into the same size display. When the pixels get smaller, your fonts will as well as they are also made up of pixels. The only way to get a larger system font in your Finder windows is to lower the resolution which will result in a less crisp/sharp picture. You can go to Finder > View > Show View Options and change the minimum size which will help some.

Correct Screen Resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.