Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ultrawide Primary Monitor + normal-size Extended Display results in font/cursor too small

I'm using a Samsung Odysee Neo 49" as my main monitor (which has been out for over one year), and a UPerfect 4K 15.4" as my extended display. They are both connected to the Mac Studio via USB-C to DisplayPort. This is perfect for Final Cut editing using the 15.4" as a preview viewer and the Ultrawide to see an expansive editing timeline.

But with the 15.4" correctly set to 4K (3840x2160) which I require for editing 4K content, macOS unfortunately misinterprets the monitors as being these relative sizes:

Obviously macOS has got this badly wrong, thinking the small monitor at the bottom is huge (because it incorrectly calculates it in comparison to the 5140x1440 resolution of the Ultrawide), and it results in windows, fonts, icons, and even the cursor, on the extended display looking unusably tiny:

Is there any way to fix this, whilst retaining 3840x2160 resolution for the small monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 15, 2022 7:39 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 21, 2022 2:42 AM in response to AppleIIme

If you check "Show all resolutions", is not there one resolution like "1920x1080 HiDPI" or something similar?

This would be similar to how an internal "Retina" display works. The interface is drawn scaled as if the whole resolution were 1920x1080 (hence text is larger, but also smoother, using additional pixels) but media is displayed at "real" resolution.

May 21, 2022 9:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I've tried SwitchResX but couldn't see anything that might help. To be clear, per my screenshot, Apple is offering the 3840x2160 option. But the text, timecode, Ken Burns and Crop and Transform menus and everything else on that FCP Viewer are microscopic.

If we're on the same page, what should I be looking for in SwitchResX other than the 3840x2160 that Apple Prefs already offers?

Ultrawide Primary Monitor + normal-size Extended Display results in font/cursor too small

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.