Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27" LG External Monitor has "Zoomed-In" Look (from 27" iMac)

Using a VGA adapter for my mid-2011 27" iMac running High Sierra I hooked up a 27" LG external monitor. Everything on the external monitor is blown up way to big and I haven't found a way to normalize the sizing on it. This prevents me from using the display well - it might as well be a 4" X 6" display. Thanks for any help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 21, 2021 6:49 AM

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 21, 2021 11:00 AM in response to kfmk

Huh. At first I thought 4"x6" was just hyperbole and that you were dissatisfied that a 27" 1920x1080 display was effectively 133% zoom but taking that literally...

1) Try restarting in safe-mode to rebuild system cache. (Restart holding 'shift')

2) Try resetting the NVRAM (restart holding cmd + option + p + r). https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

If the above two fail to resolve your issues I'd suggest trying a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable rather than an adapter.

Mar 21, 2021 7:19 AM in response to padams35

The Built-in is 2560 X 1440 and the external LG monitor preferred 1920X1080. Changing to default doesn't change the "zoomed in" look of the external monitor, sadly. Changing the resolution to other choices doesn't change anything either. I'm exploring changing the display profile in the external monitor screen currently but so far, no luck.

Mar 21, 2021 4:16 PM in response to padams35

Thanks padams35. I tried restarting as per #1 above and #2 above as well. Good suggestions. Yet the perspective for all windows on the external display continue to be way off to the large side. When I reduce them manually, the menu bars lose information that isn't lost on the iMac screen at equivalent sizes.

I think I'll try the mini-DisplayPort to HDMI cable as you suggest.

Thanks for your efforts and guidance.

Mar 21, 2021 4:24 PM in response to kfmk

kfmk wrote:

Thanks for your time and input.

You're welcome.

I've done both of the above and the external display still looks like I've Zoomed in to an Excel file 400%. I've used external displays for years - and for some reason this really has me stumped.

Have you been to the LG Display's Menu and tried changing it's Aspect Ratio?

Mar 25, 2021 8:28 AM in response to den.thed

Thanks - I checked this out with no luck. It just reduced the portion of the screen that was functional but left the windows I moved to that screen blown up to a point of un-usefulness. Bummer! At this point I think I'll end up getting a monitor at the Apple store and being sure the same kind is working in the store seamlessly.

Mar 25, 2021 9:17 AM in response to kfmk

kfmk wrote:

Using a VGA adapter for my mid-2011 27" iMac running High Sierra I hooked up a 27" LG external monitor. Everything on the external monitor is blown up way to big and I haven't found a way to normalize the sizing on it. This prevents me from using the display well - it might as well be a 4" X 6" display. Thanks for any help.

How old is that VGA adapter? There was a time when those would limit the resolution, or set the max resolution of the monitor. Current VGA adapters might be able to support 1080, but some older ones may actually set it to something like 640x480, or they may have had DIP switches on them to allow you to change them. Software settings would have no effect on the VGA adapter hardware setting, if that might be an older VGA adapter you pulled from a box in your closet. Have you ever used that same particular monitor and that particular VGA adapter with any other computer at 1080 resolution in the past?

What happens when you use the HDMI cable? I have an even older 2010 iMac and use the HDMI adapter to connect to a 1080 TV set just fine.

If you plan to go to the Apple Store anyway, take that monitor with you and ask them to help you get the right video adapter cable and connect it to a floor model Mac to make sure it works, maybe?

27" LG External Monitor has "Zoomed-In" Look (from 27" iMac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.