Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won’t boot up after upgrading SSD

I’ve replaced the original HDD with a Aura Pro X2 SSD i had formatted the disc as APFS and MacOS Catalina has been installing for 20mins... just as the installation was about to be completed the screen went black and I’ve been unable to turn the MacBook on since, not even into recovery mode. When I return the original SSD the same problem remains and I now have no access to the laptop at all. I can see that the power is on via the light on the Apple logo but all I get is a black screen.

any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 7:27 PM

What is the exact model of the laptop? You can get this information by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Try an SMC reset. Try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Connect an external display to see you it has video. You may need to put the laptop into Clamshell mode by closing the lid in order to activate the external display.

After powering on the laptop wait a couple of minutes, then press the Caps Lock key. Does the Caps Lock LED light up?

Try increasing the brightness.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2020 7:27 PM in response to cai274

What is the exact model of the laptop? You can get this information by entering your serial number here:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

Try an SMC reset. Try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Connect an external display to see you it has video. You may need to put the laptop into Clamshell mode by closing the lid in order to activate the external display.

After powering on the laptop wait a couple of minutes, then press the Caps Lock key. Does the Caps Lock LED light up?

Try increasing the brightness.

MacBook Pro won’t boot up after upgrading SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.