Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Airdropping photos (HEIC not converting to JPEG)

Hi,

I want my phone (iPhone 11, running iOS 13.6.1) to take photos in HEIC but convert them to JPEG when airdropping to my MacBook Pro (which is running Catalina). I have "Automatic" checked under "Transfer to Mac or PC" in the Settings for Photos. AND YET TO MY GREAT ANNOYANCE AND DISMAY it airdrops my photos as HEIC.

Please help, this is unbelievably ridiculous.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2020 11:37 AM

Your Mac understands HEIC just as your iPhone does! So naturally an automatic transfer to your Mac will be done in that format.

You may do the conversion on your Mac if you wish as explained here.

Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 10, 2020 7:29 PM in response to sberman

It might be natural, but it’s not useful. :)

Although my MBP understands HEIC, many other apps do not. So if, for example, I am airdropping a photo to my MBP in order to upload it to my course website, I’d have to add the step of converting the file format after airdropping the pic since my course website (and like every app I actually use pictures for) does not accept HEIC. I know *how* to do that. The problem is that it’s a pain, especially since I have to do it it several times a day.

It used to not work this way. When airdropping, the picture would show up as a JPEG. I wish I knew how to set it up like that again.

Problem Airdropping photos (HEIC not converting to JPEG)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.