Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgot password for notes

My iPhone 6 suddenly died on me. Luckily the phone was backed up daily to the cloud so I had no problem restoring the backup on an iPhone SE which I purchased. However, I soon discovered that I couldn't access my NOTES as I was asked for a Notes password and for years I had locked and unlocked the notes by Touch ID alone and had long forgotten the notes password. I tried resetting the password, but the new password is only operational for new notes created. Has Apple created a fix for this? I find it difficult to believe that Apple - who prides serving all of its loyal customer needs - would desert us when in dire need.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 5:33 AM

4 replies

Sep 11, 2020 10:14 PM in response to dboker

I did create a hint but this simply sends me in the right direction. It doesn’t take into account capital letters, lower letters, and numbers added to make the password stronger and I fear losing access altogether if I make too many login attempts

That your hint did not help you is on you I'm afraid.

That you lose access to your locked note is well documented and has been this way since notes were lockable. I am not unsympathetic to your situation, but security is an Apple hallmark.

I don't think locked Notes have limits to password attempts.

But there are other cases where we can go through a process to resurrect a forgotten password. Why can’t this be the case here as well?

Notes does not provide that option. Likely this is similar to iTunes backups, where you are actually providing an encryption key vs. a password. You need the exact same key to decrypt.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205794

Sep 11, 2020 10:03 PM in response to LACAllen

But there are other cases where we can go through a process to resurrect a forgotten password. Why can’t this be the case here as well? I did create a hint but this simply sends me in the right direction. It doesn’t take into account capital letters, lower letters, and numbers added to make the password stronger and I fear losing access altogether if I make too many login attempts

Forgot password for notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.