Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fujifilm x100V RAF files still not supported

Five months after the release of one of Fuji's most popular cameras Apple still doesn't support its raw files.

I called Fujifilm at  1-800-800-3854 Option #2 for Pro Digital and they pointed me here

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/cameras/x100v/

and said their records showed that RAW support was added to Catalina in July, can't find record of that anywhere on apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

When will this be added? I got an Adobe subscription because I can't edit raw.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 9:36 AM

Tim, Apple does not support necessarily each camera model. It is saver to wait with purchasing a camera, until it is in theist of supported cameras, if you need to have the RAW support for your camera. If a camera will be supported at all, the RAW support is usually released within a year. It may take longer than five months to develop the RAW support, if the sensor is new.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 9:36 AM in response to Tim Fitzsimons

Tim, Apple does not support necessarily each camera model. It is saver to wait with purchasing a camera, until it is in theist of supported cameras, if you need to have the RAW support for your camera. If a camera will be supported at all, the RAW support is usually released within a year. It may take longer than five months to develop the RAW support, if the sensor is new.

Sep 12, 2020 2:16 AM in response to Tim Fitzsimons

Tim Fitzsimons wrote:

Five months after the release of one of Fuji's most popular cameras Apple still doesn't support its raw files.

I called Fujifilm at  1-800-800-3854 Option #2 for Pro Digital and they pointed me here

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/cameras/x100v/

and said their records showed that RAW support was added to Catalina in July, can't find record of that anywhere on apple

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

When will this be added? I got an Adobe subscription because I can't edit raw.

Apple's release notes for Catalina do not mention any new RAW Support (What's new in the updates for macOS Catalina - Apple Support).

The link you received from Fuji mentions compatible software for the camera. Have you tried any of the RAW converters mentioned there? Some RAW converter software must have been included with your camera, when you purchased it, for example Fuji's own software.

Sep 11, 2020 9:11 AM in response to Tim Fitzsimons

Clearly, Fujifilm's definition of compatibility doesn't include compatibility with Photos for Mac. You might consider opening a support ticket with Apple or providing feedback to them.

Also, be mindful that there is a new version of MacOS on the horizon. Big Sur is coming. It is in public preview if you're up for risking the use of a beta OS. I do not know if it adds support for your camera and Google searches for that proved fruitless for any reference to RAW support in Big Sur.

Sep 11, 2020 1:05 PM in response to léonie

I mistakenly marked your comment as "This solved my question" — it did not. sorry about that

Yes, I understand that both Apple and Fujifilm have to cooperate to make this happen.

But I purchased the camera because every prior version of it is supported. Apple advertised its photos apps as useful for people who shoot in raw.

A few months after release, why do .RAF files work in Adobe software and not Apple? If Apple wants to blame Fuji, then what is the explanation for Adobe being ahead of their schedule? I think it's because Apple doesn't care much about helping you with their software you shoot in raw, despite what they say.

I think I have to start the long process of taking my stuff off iCloud, since I paying to store images I cannot work with. I am disappointed. I loved it!

Sep 12, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Old Toad

The Sony document does not mention the Apple RAW support at all, OT, only the hardware compatibility and some RAW processing applications. I looked at all Catalina release notes up to now, there is no mention of any new Fuji Raw Support.

We can only keep the thumbs crossed, that Big Sur will bring the RAW support for Fujifilm x100V.

Fujifilm x100V RAF files still not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.