Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swipe Up Feature

The swipe up feature on my phone doesn't seem to be working, as well as just the bottom area of my phone. I tried restarting it which didn't work, so I added the home button to my home screen. I still can't use the bottom section of apps though

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 7:40 AM

Ok. Thank you. Sounds like a job for iPhone service. I would suspect that they will need to examine the screen to see what's going on. Is your phone under warranty or protected by AppleCare+. Check here if you are not sure. That would take some of the sting out of any repair to be sure; although I understand the real bear is being without the device should it come to that. Hopefully it won't.

Good luck! I hope you get your situation resolved soon.

JDee

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2020 7:40 AM in response to kywhitehead

Ok. Thank you. Sounds like a job for iPhone service. I would suspect that they will need to examine the screen to see what's going on. Is your phone under warranty or protected by AppleCare+. Check here if you are not sure. That would take some of the sting out of any repair to be sure; although I understand the real bear is being without the device should it come to that. Hopefully it won't.

Good luck! I hope you get your situation resolved soon.

JDee

Sep 11, 2020 7:34 AM in response to JDee

I can open my phone but I can't swipe up on the lock screen. Yes I can access the control center.

I did try force restart already, yes.

Only issue is with the bottom of the screen. The apps on the bottom of the screen do not open if I click on them, and my phone case does not cover the screen at all.

I did update my phone a few days ago.

Sep 11, 2020 7:35 AM in response to kywhitehead

I'm not 100% sure what you mean here. Sorry. Are you saying that you cannot open your phone after its wakened from sleep? That's what swiping up would do. On older models of iPhone, swiping up would open the control panel, but on your iPhone XR the control is accessed differently. Can you access the control center on your iPhone XR? That would be done by swiping down from the top right corner of your screen; and to close, swipe up from the bottom of the screen (or tap the screen ). (I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that you have the raise to wake feature active on your device. (You can find it in Settings > Display & Brightness > Raise to wake.)

You wrote that you restarted the device, but have you done a forced restart by pressing and quickly releasing the Volume Up button (left side); then pressing and quickly releasing the Volume Down button (left side) and then pressing and holding the Power button (right side) until the device restarts?

Are you experiencing other issues involving the touch interface in other areas of the screen or is it just the bottom? What about apps near the bottom of the screen, do those work when you tap them? Do you have a case on the phone that might be covering the bottom edge or otherwise interfering somehow with the gesture?

Lastly, have you updated your iOS to the most recent version? If not, here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you find the issue persists (after you've backed up and updated), you can use this link to Contact Apple Support.

Good luck!

JDee

Swipe Up Feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.