Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update or install some apps on iPad: Enter a valid phone number

Hi,

So I was trying to update one of my apps today on my iPad and I got something a little bit different... As I clicked on the Update button next to the app, I got a message saying “If you have an Apple ID, sign in with it here.” And with a box underneath to type in my Apple ID.

I had never seen this password alert before when I was installing or updating apps. So I just entered my password and hit the Download button as like I would do all the time. So then did the update for the app download? Nope! Instead I got an alert telling me to Open the Settings app to continue signing in with my other email associated with my Apple ID that was not used to download or update apps.

So then I tapped on the Settings button on the alert and then redirected me to the Settings app. I was

then on the Apple ID page and got YET ANOTHER alert message! This time it was telling me that the Verification failed and I would have to enter a valid phone number.

So I then clicked on the OK button on the alert and then nothing came up on screen telling me about entering a valid phone number. I tried looking everywhere in Settings about the phone number and couldn’t find anything. I experimented with other updates and apps. I can no longer update some apps until this problem has been fixed. This doesn’t apply to all apps as some of them update and some of them lead to this particular issue. Same goes for installing new apps. I can install apps like YouTube, but when I install the Apple Support app it leads to this issue above. Any suggestions to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Sep 11, 2020 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 7:44 AM

Without trying to download or update an app, you need to verify that all of your details in your iTunes/App Store account are up-to-date and accurate.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2.8; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.7; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.7; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.8;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.8 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2020 7:44 AM in response to FinTGM

Without trying to download or update an app, you need to verify that all of your details in your iTunes/App Store account are up-to-date and accurate.

ASC - Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.14.6; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 6.2.8; iPad Air 2, ipadOS 13.7; iPhone 8+, iOS 13.7; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 13.4.8;  HomePods, audioOS 13.4.8 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Oct 4, 2020 11:42 AM in response to Dah•veed

I can't update my apps on my iPad either. I can log in to the App Store, even changed my password and I can even buy and download new apps, but when i try to update my existing apps the Store asks for my password-but NOT my Apple ID- and I get "Verification Failed" message. I updated my iOS software to the latest version. It didn't help.

Cannot update or install some apps on iPad: Enter a valid phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.