Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dashboard widgets not working

It's September 2020 & I'm still having trouble with Dashboard apps not updating. Any help with this issue in Mojave would be appreciated.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:10 AM

the platform been abandoned my most developers of the widgets so if the network service they rely on for data close down or change their interface you're out of luck

in 10.15 it's fully removed from macOS which will likely make even more of the widgets developers jump ship

6 replies

Sep 13, 2020 8:21 AM in response to woodrackets

Most of the old Dashboard functions can be replaced by customizing Notifications:

Use notifications on your Mac - Apple Support

Mine looks like:

When in the "Today" tab, there is an "Edit" button at the bottom that lets you choose what to display. Frankly, for those functions are easy for me to access in Notifications that they were in Dashboard, especially considering some third-party Dashboard widgets could be real resource hogs.

Sep 13, 2020 8:45 AM in response to woodrackets

If you depended on a Dashboard dictionary, there is no counterpart in the Notification's replacements. Use the Apple Dictionary included in your Applications folder. Mine is sitting dead-center of my Dock, where it was drag and dropped. Configure the Dictionary preferences to include the dictionaries you need in the left to right order that they are to appear in the Dictionary toolbar.

There are keyboard and trackpad shortcuts available to open a dictionary panel when you hover over a word to look up:

• Press control + command + D
  • Three-finger tap (needs to be configured in Trackpad preferences
  • Use of the dict:// URI prefix in Safari to launch and lookup the specified word (e.g. dict://mystery).

Dashboard widgets not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.