Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck cannot update ios or boot back into it

I have a macbook pro 15 inch mid 2010 and have upgraded it to high sierra. I got a security update 10.13.6 rebooted to install and got an error that file encryption was working. I checked on status in terminal and it says paused. I cannot reboot into my computer to unpause. Help! Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 8:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 6:07 AM

Almost didn't answer, iOS is for iPhones & iPads, MacOS is what Macs run.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the following combinations on your keyboard.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 6:07 AM in response to scarface3010

Almost didn't answer, iOS is for iPhones & iPads, MacOS is what Macs run.

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold the following combinations on your keyboard.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Sep 13, 2020 6:20 AM in response to BDAqua

Sorry about that, I inherited my wife's old mac (I'm primarily a pc user) after buying her the new model. I tried safe mode and still couldn't boot. I ended up clearing the harddrive and reinstalling High Sierra. This time, I deactivated filevault during initial setup. Since I will not be taking this computer outside my home, i figured it was my best option to prevent this issue with future updates. Thanks for taking the time to decode my post and answering. Appreciate it.

Stuck cannot update ios or boot back into it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.