Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Yamaha P-95 Won't Show Up as a Midi Device

I was using my Yamaha P-95 as my midi keyboard in Logic 9, which I tested again today and it was fine so I know the midi ports on my keyboard are okay. I have upgraded to Logic Pro X and I'm trying to set up my keyboard as a midi device, but it looks like my new Mac Mini won't recognize it. I have it hooked up via a midi to USB-C cable, which seems to be working. In Logic, it says there is a USB Midi Interface under the Midi settings. But no matter what I do, I can't get a signal when I press the keys. Please help!

Posted on Sep 12, 2020 11:16 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Sep 13, 2020 6:39 PM in response to Wilddrums

Thanks for the reply! The computer is new so I just downloaded the free 90 day trial of Logic Pro X (it didn’t have any versions of the software before).

With regard to the cable, yes I just got it yesterday - the brand is DigitalLife. Had good reviews...? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thanks!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

Sep 13, 2020 12:38 PM in response to kat7240

OK. So the physical connections seem right and the MIDI interface shows up in the MIDI Studio.

You open Logic, press keys on the P-95 and nothing appears on the LCD?

In Logic, you create a Software Instrument Track, insert an Instrument on the corresponding Channel Strip, press keys on the P-95 and you get no signal?

WD

Note: you have four things that are different from your previous setup:

New computer

New MIDI Interface

New OS (Catalina)

Version of Logic (10.5.1 ?)

It is likely one of them that causes the problem.

Sep 13, 2020 2:01 PM in response to kat7240

There are other posts about the same issue. For most of them, the problem was with the MIDI interface.

Let try this:

Quit (Command-Q) all applications.

Power OFF everything.

Unplug everything.

Power ON everything.

Plug back everything.

Login to the computer. Wait.

With no other applications running, open Logic.

Any Changes?

Also, it could be useful to know:

Model of the Mac Mini.

macOS and Logic versions.

Anything else installed on the computer?

WD

Sep 14, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Wilddrums

I was using a different cable to hook up the Yamaha to my old computer - I had it running through my old FireWire Preamp. I think I should return the Midi to USB-C cable and see if a new one will fix the issue. The midi lights don’t respond when I push down the keys no matter how I plug in the in/out to the keyboard. Will that be a good place to start?

My Yamaha P-95 Won't Show Up as a Midi Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.