Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating from Mac Outlook to Mac Mail

A friend needs to move his Mac Outlook mail to Mail on the same iMac. He would like to maintain the same folder structure in Mail. All mail accounts are gmail.

Can he just Import Mailboxes / Files in Mbox format from his current Outlook folder, or just drag the Outlook folders he wants to maintain to a folder on the desktop and the import?

I am assuming the gmail account(s) need to be created in Mail first. I assume they are IMAP and will just sync, or will there be duplicate messages?

Thanks for any info :)

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 11:45 AM

Is all the Outlook mail on the gmail provider servers, under IMAP? If so, he can simply create the gmail account in Mail and everything will sync and download so the gmail in Apple Mail looks identical to the gmail in Outlook.

If some of the Outlook email is stored locally (On My Mac) and is no longer on the gmail servers, then the simplest thing to do is to move those back to the gmail IMAP server online, and after doing that when everything is back on IMAP (stored on the gmail servers), then create the gmail account under Apple Mail and everything will come down from the gmail servers to Apple Mail.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 11:45 AM in response to sbrindolona

Is all the Outlook mail on the gmail provider servers, under IMAP? If so, he can simply create the gmail account in Mail and everything will sync and download so the gmail in Apple Mail looks identical to the gmail in Outlook.

If some of the Outlook email is stored locally (On My Mac) and is no longer on the gmail servers, then the simplest thing to do is to move those back to the gmail IMAP server online, and after doing that when everything is back on IMAP (stored on the gmail servers), then create the gmail account under Apple Mail and everything will come down from the gmail servers to Apple Mail.

Migrating from Mac Outlook to Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.