Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

YouTube airplay from iPad stops and restarts on Apple TV 3

Hello,

I believe my iPad started having this problem when it updated. Both devices are fully updated now.

While air playing YouTube through iPad Air 3 on atv 3 when I lock my iPad or it goes to sleep the video shows loading circle on tv, stopping the video and showing video time bar That only shows from 0s to 1s and play button only. When I resume playing from iPad lock screen or turning on iPad or even pressing play from Apple TV remote, the video starts from 0s. It’s really frustrating since it is my fathers iPad and tv and I can’t help him solve it.

i have tried the following things

updating both softwares

changing wallpaper to stills instead of live

resetting Apple tv

redownloading YouTube app

clearing caches cookies etc

stopping Apple TV from going to sleerestarting both devices routers and modems

i would like to avoid changing iPad settings to never sleep as it will drain the battery way too often and kill its life

thanks for your time guys

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 2:43 PM

Many user have reported the issue (check ratings in the Appstore), seems to be a problem with a Youtube Update about 2-3 months ago, that they havent bothered to fix. Btw, every video, music etc. you stream over Airplay works, it's just the Youtube App having problems. Im having the same issue with an iPhone XS Max (iOS 14 beta 8) and a Apple TV 4K (tvOS 14.0). For now, I just use the YT App on the Apple TV, but it annoyes me to not beeing able to just watch it "through" my phone, because the YT App on Apple TV is bad... really really bad...

Similar questions

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 2:43 PM in response to Goldhound_00

Many user have reported the issue (check ratings in the Appstore), seems to be a problem with a Youtube Update about 2-3 months ago, that they havent bothered to fix. Btw, every video, music etc. you stream over Airplay works, it's just the Youtube App having problems. Im having the same issue with an iPhone XS Max (iOS 14 beta 8) and a Apple TV 4K (tvOS 14.0). For now, I just use the YT App on the Apple TV, but it annoyes me to not beeing able to just watch it "through" my phone, because the YT App on Apple TV is bad... really really bad...

Sep 13, 2020 8:09 PM in response to Goldhound_00

Hi, Goldhound_00.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We’re glad you decided to reach out about your father’s iPad and Apple TV concern. If we understand correctly, after updating the iPad you’re no longer able to AirPlay from the iPad to the Apple TV without the video pausing when the iPad automatically locks. When you press play to resume after it locks, it moves back to the beginning of the video. Does this sound correct?

If so, check the “Still need help?” section here:

If AirPlay or screen mirroring isn’t working on your device - Apple Support

Note that it’s expected that the connection get interrupted when your device locks, so he may need to make sure his iPad is plugged in to charge and adjust the Auto Lock settings when he mirrors the iPad to the Apple TV.

All our best.

Oct 11, 2020 8:41 AM in response to Goldhound_00

It’s really mind-boggling to me how big the difference in quality there is between any other Apple product I’ve owned and Apple TV. I recently decided to get a streaming device and went for the Apple TV since I’m already in the ecosystem. For my surprise, it doesn’t “just work”. I’ve searched online for fixes, and the best one so far has been to keep the screen on. However, even that doesn’t work well sometimes. For example; I was streaming a YouTube video from my iPad to Apple TV and opened LinkedIn on my iPad. To my surprise, the YouTube streaming stopped and was substituted by a video ad from LinkedIn. My father has a Chromecast and it works like I thought the Apple TV would work. It’s also fairly annoying to be required to use the Netflix app on the Apple TV itself, the UI is just so much better on iOS/iPadOS. As it doesn’t seem Apple is too worried about these issues, delegating responsibility to individual app developers, I’ll try to sell the Apple TV and get a Chromecast.

For those with issues specifically dealing with YouTube, I’ve found that Airplaying it from Brave browser on the iPad works fine! Plus you get ad-blocking.

Nov 3, 2020 10:08 AM in response to Markus__M

This issue isn’t specific to YouTube; it has nothing to do with other applications or their updates. The interruptions in Airplay carry over across all applications I've used.

Just upgraded my iphone 6s to an iphone 11 and Airplay is now completely unusable. No matter what I try to cast to my AppleTV, it runs for a few seconds before pausing and disconnecting. With my Macbook however, I don’t have any issues besides the occasional annoying lag, but at least it’s usable.

Over $1,200 for a new phone that comes with issues my iphone 6 never had. Worse yet, no solutions presented here.

Nov 14, 2020 8:48 AM in response to Goldhound_00

Okay I have been experiencing the same problem. Using airplay from my iPad at apple HD TV(sharing skill Yoga app) and yes after 5 min the airplay signal cuts out and restarts from beginning. I tried having the iPad plugged in to mains but still seems to be connected to your display auto lock timings. Like one user said i dont want to set auto lock to "never" as will forget to switch back and deplete the battery. At present this is the only solution to prevent airplay signal cutting out.

Nov 16, 2020 12:05 PM in response to Goldhound_00

I’m having the same issue as well. After the last update, 14.2, airplay only works with screen on. This used to work decently but now airplay is useless. My screenlock is controlled by the company IT team so had to tap the screen every 30 seconds to keep the screen alive! Come on Apple, you are better than this. Please fix this issue and stop slowing our old devices and making existing functionality disappear.

hw: apple A1427 and iPhone 8

YouTube airplay from iPad stops and restarts on Apple TV 3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.