You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I change the icons for a file type en masse?

OK, just done a jump OS upgrade from Snow Leopard to Sierra. Most things sorted, but one problem I have is that the icons of all my audio files ( wavs, aiffs, the lot ) have all changed from black QuickTime Preview style icons with grey musical notes, to white QuickTime Preview icons with grey musical notes. This is a pain, because previously I could see at a glance in Finder list view which files were audio files and which were not, and now they all look similar.

It's impractical to change them individually, as we're talking about tens of thousands of files in hundreds of folders

( composer! xD )

Is there any way I can change the icons of a particular file type ( e.g. wav, aiff ) en masse?

Or maybe just change the icon that QuickTime uses to identify audio files, since I think it's QT that's organising this

( when I examine their Info pane they are all Open With QuickTime player... )

I'm wondering if there might be some icon inside a QT-related package somewhere that I could just modify?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 2:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 5:29 AM

There is a big difference between Snow Leopard and Sierra. Two entirely different operating system visual design decisions. With apologies to Lewis Carroll, and the proverbial rabbit hole, I think you have little choice but to adapt to what Sierra provides you, and set aside icon changes in QuickTime.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2020 5:29 AM in response to gordon k

There is a big difference between Snow Leopard and Sierra. Two entirely different operating system visual design decisions. With apologies to Lewis Carroll, and the proverbial rabbit hole, I think you have little choice but to adapt to what Sierra provides you, and set aside icon changes in QuickTime.

Sep 13, 2020 6:29 PM in response to gordon k

Well I had a scout around, but I can't find the musical-notes icon in either QT Player app's package.

Also, if I set a particular audio file to be openend by QT Player 7, the icon displayed in the finder after restarting is still the same predominantly white one, even though QT Player 7 has not been updated by the OS update, and its files had the black icon under Snow Leopard. So it looks like what is determining the icon is not part of QuickTime Player itself.

In any case, the icon that appears in the finder for an audio file is different from the icon I see if I do a Get Info on the file. In fact, if I copy the icon from the Info pane, and paste it back into the same Info pane, the icon in the Finder changes. It seems that the white-icons-that-used-to-be-black are related to the Quick Look functionality that makes it possible to preview audio files in the Finder without opening them in an app. So I'm guessing they are either part of the Finder or of the OS itself.

Does this seem like a fixable thing?

Or ( in an ecosystem where Apple decides the colour of everything xD ), am I just heading down the rabbit hole here?

Can I change the icons for a file type en masse?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.