Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Faces Detected Twice per face

Im having issues where faces are detected twice. Here I have named Mason, but behind it is still an unnamed detection. If I mouse hover back and forth the display flips between Mason and unnamed. I also see the detection ring very ever so slightly change. So its clear its detected twice. How can I clear detection so there isnt 2 per photo?

This is in addition to the fact that I have issues with Faces getting stuck scanning. Different problem.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 10:52 AM

You could export the photo with the duplicate face, delete it from Photos (including Recently Deleted), then reimport it. After reimporting the Faces Scan will run again, and should detect only one face.

Are you perhaps using iCloud Photos, and the second faces circle has could have been synced from a different device? The face detection algorithm may be different, depending on the system version and may give different results.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 10:52 AM in response to reevesjeremy

You could export the photo with the duplicate face, delete it from Photos (including Recently Deleted), then reimport it. After reimporting the Faces Scan will run again, and should detect only one face.

Are you perhaps using iCloud Photos, and the second faces circle has could have been synced from a different device? The face detection algorithm may be different, depending on the system version and may give different results.

Photos Faces Detected Twice per face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.