Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert a case-sensitive Mac HFS partition into a case-insensitive one on MacBook Pro?

I have MacBook Pro w/Catalina 10.15.6 - Can't load Adobe Photoshop Elements because my install driver is "case-sensitive". Two questions: (1) How do find the HFS partition where the change needs to be made; and (2) once I find it, how to I make the change installer from case-sensitive to non-case-insensitive. I'm 70 and this sounds very challenging for me to try. Thank you in advance for your answers.

-Kenn

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 7:18 PM

I think the only way you can change the case-sensitivity on the file system is by backing up your Mac using Time Machine and erasing the whole drive before restoring from the backup. Follow the steps in this Apple article to properly erase the whole physical drive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Once you have used Disk Utility to properly erase the drive you can select the option to "Restore from a Time Machine backup". I don't use TM, but I think this will work.

Another option would be to temporarily clone the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner so you can erase the drive, then clone the contents back.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 7:18 PM in response to BrokerKenn

I think the only way you can change the case-sensitivity on the file system is by backing up your Mac using Time Machine and erasing the whole drive before restoring from the backup. Follow the steps in this Apple article to properly erase the whole physical drive.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Once you have used Disk Utility to properly erase the drive you can select the option to "Restore from a Time Machine backup". I don't use TM, but I think this will work.

Another option would be to temporarily clone the drive using Carbon Copy Cloner so you can erase the drive, then clone the contents back.

Sep 15, 2020 3:50 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks, HWTech. Makes it seem simple even for me. I'm putting together a step-by-step plan based on what you explained and reading up about how to do this stuff. This seems quite involvedI and I'm beginning to feel I'm in over my head. If I asked someone to do this for me, about how much should I expect to pay? Thank you in advance. -Kenn

How do I convert a case-sensitive Mac HFS partition into a case-insensitive one on MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.