Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant won't work

tried connecting new MacBook Air 2020 to MacBook Pro 2011 both wirelessly and cable. MacBook Air tells me it won't work because MacBook Pro has 'Case sensitive filesystem'. I cannot find the term on Apple's website to either turn off or turn the other on?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2020 7:36 AM

you'd need to Reformat the drive to make it case sensitive AFIAK. you dont need the USB cables. TM backup is essential IMHO. I manage a group of Macs at work, the TM Back has bailed me out of so many issues I would not run a Mac without one.

5 replies

Jul 13, 2020 5:39 AM in response to jazmec

case sensitive would be how the hard drive on the 2011 is formatted. case sensitive allows files named the same thing with different capitalization or lower case to be different files ; e.x. "BLuePanDa.jpg" is not "BluEPandA.jpg"

there are a few ways to do this, one is backup the drive with time machine and restore the account on the 2020 with your migration assisting using the time machine drive you backed up. another would be copy the drive, reformat the drive, copy it back.

what I've found to be easier in the long run is to install the software you need on the new Mac, this way you have comparable versions then update that software if it's needed then share the 2011's drive out, share your users folder then just copy the files were you need them.

If you share the drive over the network the whole case sensitive thing is ignored when moving the files from the drive to the new one; unless you have files with the same name regardless of upper/lower case. ex.

e.x. "BLuePanDa.jpg" is now the same as "BluEPandA.jpg"

Jul 13, 2020 5:54 AM in response to JimmyCMPIT

PK, have time machine but not the adapter - bought USB-C to USB-A cable just in case wifi didn't work. However would need USB-C to USB-A (female) to connect Time Machine backup #$@!%

Is it possible to change the hard drive on the new machine to 'case sensitive filesystem'?

Alternatively I guess I just get another cable for the external harddrive given I will still want to backup in the future.

thanks

Jul 14, 2020 7:54 AM in response to jazmec

TM = Time Machine, meaning the Time Machine application built into macOS and the Mac formatted external drive you are using to store the backup. Once the backup is complete on the 2011 (and the initial backup run can be painfully slow, that's normal because it's building an index while it copies) you connect that backup to the 2020 and run migration assistant on the 2020. it should recognize the drive and you can migrate your data.

IMHO is unofficial internet language for "In My Humble Opinion"

so IMHO just migrate the user data after you install the apps you need from their developers sites so you get a clean install and versions that were designed for the current OS, then migrate just your personal data from the backup that are found in the users folder

Migration Assistant won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.