You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10/Brightness function

I originally installed Windows 10 on my mid-2012 15" MBP about 6 months ago or so.

Once all the installation was finished, everything seemed to work just fine. However, it seems like only a few weeks later, the F1 and F2 buttons stopped adjusting the brightness. I can't change the brightness with the buttons OR by going through settings and adjusting the slider. (In MacOS, they work just fine).

Ive tried downloading the new apple drivers, installed them, but it didnt change anything. I went to the nvidia website and downloaded the appropriate driver from there, installed it, and it messed up my resolution, but I was able to change the brightness, but then it stopped working again. I couldnt change the resolution settings so I rolled back to the previous update.

I've searched Google and tried various things.

I do not have an option to change the "adaptive brightness" setting.

Every now and then when I boot up windows, its like the computer chooses a different driver and the resolution is whacky again and there isnt even an option for adjusting brightness, so I have to restart again.

I've tried disabling and re-enabling the drivers in device manager.

It makes the laptop impossible to work on at night because its very bright, and then during the daytime its not quite bright enough to use outside. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 4:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2020 5:36 PM

Thanks for the responses. I don’t know what the deal is, but I tried downloading the Windows Support Software again, and updating the nvidia driver again, and this time it seemed to work alright. While installing, the screen went black and never came back on again, so I forced a restart and now it’s been working just fine. So the screen brightness is working and adjusting just fine, BUT, the keyboard brightness doesn’t adjust anymore! But that’s ok, I’m not so concerned with that.

thanks again.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2020 5:36 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the responses. I don’t know what the deal is, but I tried downloading the Windows Support Software again, and updating the nvidia driver again, and this time it seemed to work alright. While installing, the screen went black and never came back on again, so I forced a restart and now it’s been working just fine. So the screen brightness is working and adjusting just fine, BUT, the keyboard brightness doesn’t adjust anymore! But that’s ok, I’m not so concerned with that.

thanks again.

Windows 10/Brightness function

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.