Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate Expansion Desktop 16TB not showing up.

Hello, I just got 2 Seagate Expansion Desktop 16TB drives and neither shows up in the Disk Utility menu on my Mac Pro 2019 (Catalina). They do show up on my macbook (Catalina).

Tried several different USB ports but none work.

Mac Pro

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 6:52 AM

Great. Now you have access to the Physical device.

Next step is to use Disk Utility to ERASE it, (if you have not already down so) and it will become MacOS native and show up under all circumstances, no added Driver required.

7 replies

Sep 13, 2020 7:08 PM in response to Turbotim9

that is a Bad Idea®

what you just did is allow the drive to stay formatted Windows New Technology File System (NTFS), with Mac drives simulated inside NTFS.

The reason this is a bad Idea® is that drive as it is now will not mount after a disaster or under Recovery mode (because the driver does not load in recovery. It now REQUIRES the NTFS driver, else it is not recognized.

What you want to do is completely erase the entire DEVICE, by its Immutable Device-name, in Disk Utility. If you can not see it by its device-name, use the tiny drop down menu in the upper left corner of Disk Utility to "show all devices".

If erased to a native MacOS drive, it will be much more readily available under all conditions.

Seagate Expansion Desktop 16TB not showing up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.