Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone shows WiFi is connected in settings but not on home screen

When using my phone at home recently, or anywhere where I connect to WiFi, the top right corner says LTE but when I go to my settings, it says I’m connected to the internet. I know this is not true because I used 8.55 gigs of data this month when I haven’t changed anything I usually do, I normally only use 2-4gigs, AND, I’ve been home all the time because of corona.

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2020 10:39 PM

Jessiesuppp Said:

"iPhone shows WiFi is connected in settings but not on home screen: When using my phone at home recently, or anywhere where I connect to WiFi, the top right corner says LTE but when I go to my settings, it says I’m connected to the internet. I know this is not true because I used 8.55 gigs of data this month when I haven’t changed anything I usually do, I normally only use 2-4gigs, AND, I’ve been home all the time because of corona."

-------

Cellular Always Overrules Wi-Fi:

If it is showing LTE - then that means Cellular data is enabled. So, even if Wi-Fi is enabled along with Cellular, then Cellular is what will always be used. It will flip to Wi-Fi if and when Cellular is lost. This is because Cellular always overrules Wi-Fi. So, disable Cellular in Settings, and data will not be eaten up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2020 10:39 PM in response to Jessiesuppp

Jessiesuppp Said:

"iPhone shows WiFi is connected in settings but not on home screen: When using my phone at home recently, or anywhere where I connect to WiFi, the top right corner says LTE but when I go to my settings, it says I’m connected to the internet. I know this is not true because I used 8.55 gigs of data this month when I haven’t changed anything I usually do, I normally only use 2-4gigs, AND, I’ve been home all the time because of corona."

-------

Cellular Always Overrules Wi-Fi:

If it is showing LTE - then that means Cellular data is enabled. So, even if Wi-Fi is enabled along with Cellular, then Cellular is what will always be used. It will flip to Wi-Fi if and when Cellular is lost. This is because Cellular always overrules Wi-Fi. So, disable Cellular in Settings, and data will not be eaten up.

Sep 13, 2020 10:57 PM in response to Jessiesuppp

Hi, Wi-Fi overrules mobile data unless you have Wi-Fi assist turned on under Settings > Mobile/Cellular > Wi-Fi Assist.

Wi-Fi Assist automatically uses mobile data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor. You can check this: About Wi-Fi Assist

I would recommend that you turn off mobile/cellular data when you're at home & only turn it on when you go out. So when at home, it will only be connected to Wi-Fi.

iPhone shows WiFi is connected in settings but not on home screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.