Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import photos with metadata

Hi,

I downloaded all of my photos from Google and want to import them into the Photo app on my Mac.

when I attempt to do so, it seems to bring them in without the Metadata.

Is there any way to do so?

its over 100,000 photos so fixing the date/time/location etc. manually isn't an option

thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 7:31 AM

AFAIK importing images from Google Photos need some tweaking to handle also metadata.

I use Google Photos and Apple Photos but I am very careful to edit all metadata elsewhere because I want to archive the original images and all metadata in plain folders.

So I have no first hand experience but maybe this will get you going:

https://legault.me/post/correctly-migrate-away-from-google-photos-to-icloud

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2020 7:31 AM in response to avrahamd

AFAIK importing images from Google Photos need some tweaking to handle also metadata.

I use Google Photos and Apple Photos but I am very careful to edit all metadata elsewhere because I want to archive the original images and all metadata in plain folders.

So I have no first hand experience but maybe this will get you going:

https://legault.me/post/correctly-migrate-away-from-google-photos-to-icloud

Sep 14, 2020 3:12 AM in response to avrahamd

Do the photos you downloaded from Google still have the embedded exif tags and IPTC tags?

Download a photo again to a folder in the Finder and open it in Preview. In Preview go to the menu "Tools > Show Inspector". In the Inspector check the the tabs "GPS", "IPTC", "EXIF" to see, which metadata tags have been downloaded from Google. If a photo has GPS tags or a "content created" tag, Photos will show the correct date and location.

import photos with metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.