Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import my photos into Photos

I have nothing in my Photos app, on my iMac. All my photos are in various folders all over my Mac. How do I import them into the Photos app? And will it just mean copies of them would be in Photos, and I'd still have them in the various folders they're already in, as well?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 10:00 AM

Hi

In photos, go to file>import, then select the files in whatever folder they are in.

Yes, they will be copied into the photos library. I would suggest importing everything, then making sure you have a backup of the library in place, then delete the original files in the folders.

Alternatively copy all the folders of images into a single top level folder, as a backup of the original files.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 10:00 AM in response to Saxman

Hi

In photos, go to file>import, then select the files in whatever folder they are in.

Yes, they will be copied into the photos library. I would suggest importing everything, then making sure you have a backup of the library in place, then delete the original files in the folders.

Alternatively copy all the folders of images into a single top level folder, as a backup of the original files.

How do I import my photos into Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.