Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming calls display the wrong caller ID

Incoming calls sometimes display the wrong contact name. Its not every time, so its very confusing.

It appears to hold onto the last whatsapp caller ID which then shows as the latest/new incoming call, instead of the new EXTERNAL number (not a whatsapp call) that is actually calling.

I see other people have complained about this in the past (https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2suar4/ios_8_bug_calls_sometimes_display_the_wrong/cnsxc1c/), but I have not seen any advice on how to fix the issue. Please help!

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 2:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 2:40 AM

Hildamm Said:

"Incoming calls display the wrong caller ID"

-------

Leave Apple Feedback on this.

Apple wont get back to you directly on this, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they'll know what suits their customers' needs and wants. Being there is no "General" feedback for the App Store, use iPhone feedback, as that is the device you are using.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Other" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 2:40 AM in response to Hildamm

Hildamm Said:

"Incoming calls display the wrong caller ID"

-------

Leave Apple Feedback on this.

Apple wont get back to you directly on this, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they'll know what suits their customers' needs and wants. Being there is no "General" feedback for the App Store, use iPhone feedback, as that is the device you are using.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Other" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Proceed from there as necessary.

Sep 18, 2020 10:58 PM in response to SravanKrA

I see the same issue with ios14.

I got a call from what seemed to be a known contact from watsapp. But, when I answered the call, it was a spam call.

I disconnected and checked the recent call list. It listed a new call from a number not in my contact list. But, the caller id had shown the id of the last watsapp call.

i don’t think this is a contact list issue. I believe this is a bug in ios14. Please followup on this. How do I file a bug report?

Oct 7, 2020 11:54 PM in response to vinusha80

I agree. No one from Apple is bothering to respond to this BUG.

ANOTHER ISSUE I HAVE DISCOVERED:

When you are in an open whatsapp chat screen and someone (maybe someone else) calls you (also via a whatsapp call) then the phone rings clearly, but there is no answer button to press as your screen doesn't offer you a way to answer the ringing phone! The screen remains unchanged yet its ringing loudly and announcing that "x is calling".

If you try to close that open screen to try to locate the missing swipe/answer button, you still don't know where to look for it in order to "pick up" the ringing call!!

Oct 15, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Hildamm

Hilddam describes the problem of the wrong caller id exactly. It affects my iPhone 11/iOS 14.0.1. It’s intermittent & I thought it was spoof calling from numbers not known to me.

This was until I received a genuine call from someone I knew, identified wrongly as my previous WhatsApp caller.

I note Apple will look into this & debug it.

Incoming calls display the wrong caller ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.