Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group messages not showing individual sender.

In Messages on the mac I do not see who responses are from on a group message chat. I see all responses as if they came from one person. On my phone in the same thread, I can the name of the person who sent each individual message above the message. How can I get it so the names show up on the mac version of messages?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 11:12 AM

3 replies

Sep 15, 2020 11:17 AM in response to chris.mullen

Greetings, chris.mullen!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're not seeing the contact names when you get messages in a group on your Mac. First, check out the steps in this article to Add contacts from iCloud, Google, and more to Contacts on Mac to be sure your contacts are synced to the Mac properly.

If still have an issue, we recommend taking a look at this article with steps to follow for How to use safe mode on your Mac. This will perform checks and stop certain software from starting up automatically. Once you are in safe mode, test to see if you have the same issue. 

Does this happen with a specific group or with all groups? Is the group all Apple users or a mixture of users?

We look forward to hearing back with the results and hope you have an awesome day!

Sep 16, 2020 3:10 PM in response to Eric--F

Thanks for reaching out Eric.

The contacts are in my contacts. The names resolve on the side window showing who is in the group and on the top menu of the conversation. So that is not the problem.

Even if they were not in my contacts, I would expect to see some distinction between senders (showing their phone number or what ever is in their start conversations from information).

If there are 8 people on the group iMessage, it looks the same as it it were just between me and one other person. So it does not shows numbers or contacts for people in the group. just all received items with no distinction

On my phone and iPad there is a contact above each message or abouve a frew messages if they send a few in succession.

Group messages not showing individual sender.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.