Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 4016

Hi,

I am wondering what else to do so I thought I'd ask all of you.

I was on my phone last night and it was extremely low on its battery charge (3%) when I placed it on my charging pad. The phone had then powered down and I went to sleep thinking that it was charging.

I woke up this morning to the phone being extremely warm, the lock screen not being able to show me the date or time, or the ability to connect to cellular, and the wi-fi icon was grayed out in the Control Center. Any attempt to open an app would act as if I was editing the home screen for a second, then stop.

I tried restarting it normally and the problem persisted. I was able to connect it to my computer put it into Recovery Mode. Upon attempting to update or restore the phone, I received an unknown error prompt with the code 4016. I looked up the code and checked the connectivity from two separate cables on two separate MacBooks—my work-issued MBP, and my wife's personal MBA—but to no avail.

I was able to get the phone into DFU mode once (and never again since) but the same error occurred.

I am going to meet with an Authorized Apple Dealer in my area tomorrow to have them give it a try, but, otherwise I am stuck. I don't care about restoring a backup despite having one, I just want it to work and then I can go from there.

My hardware specs are:

iPhone 11 Pro - 256 GB running iOS 13.6.1 (now in eternal Recovery Mode)

MBP late-2015 model running macOS Catalina 10.15.6

Thanks.

iPhone 11, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 9:29 PM

Hi, you can try to restore your phone as new in this manner.. Make sure to use an original Apple cable or the cable that came with your phone..

Turn off your phone: Press and hold the Side button and one of the volume buttons until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone. Then connect your iPhone to your computer while holding the Side button. Keep holding the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen. Once you get the prompt to Update or restore, select Restore..

If the issue persists, you can take your phone to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service provider. You can book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 9:29 PM in response to MikeGM76

Hi, you can try to restore your phone as new in this manner.. Make sure to use an original Apple cable or the cable that came with your phone..

Turn off your phone: Press and hold the Side button and one of the volume buttons until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone. Then connect your iPhone to your computer while holding the Side button. Keep holding the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen. Once you get the prompt to Update or restore, select Restore..

If the issue persists, you can take your phone to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service provider. You can book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app.

Sep 15, 2020 3:53 PM in response to MikeGM76

Hey there, MikeGM76!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're unable to restore your iPhone through your computer since you're receiving error 4016.

Do you have another computer you can connect to? If not, try working through each of the steps in the resource below:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

Should the error persist, Contact Apple Support for next steps.

Take care!

Error 4016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.