Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable.

So, I've read through most of the replies to the subject line above, and the make my eyes cross. There's questions about the cloud, what the formats are, etc. etc. Here's what I know, in very non-tech, short, choppy terms. I had a mac. It had iphoto. I got a new mac 5 years ago. I migrated the library. Everything that is an issue is on my hard drive, not an external. Videos played just fine up until recently. Might have been the Catalina OS upgrade. I don't really recall. All of my videos, including those recorded after the upgrade display the message above.

I'd like to watch my videos. Anyone know how I can do this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 9:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 12:38 AM

The videos that no longer play may be using a codec, that is no longer supported after the Catalina upgrade. You can see the codec of your videos in the Info for a video, if you select the video in Photos and enter the keyboard shortcut ⌘i.

The codec will be shown in the second brick of the Info, to the left of the tiny camera icon:

On Catalina, the videos encoded as HEVC or H.264 should be playing well. You may want to compare the codecs you are seeing to this list for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support (the paragraph "Formats compatible with Catalina").

Another possible reasons for videos not playing could simply be, that iCloud Photos has become enabled on your Mac. You may want to check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, if iCloud Photos is enabled. Videos that have not been downloaded from iCloud, may give the error message about a missing resource.

As a test - can you play the videos in QuickTime Player, if you export a video from Photos with "File > Export > Export unmodified original"?

Does QuickTime Player give an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

Do you still have the original iPhoto Library or did you remove it? I am asking, because for videos using a container format (MOV, AVI, MP4) the video component may have been referenced and stored outside the MOV or AVI container. Then you need to keep then original with the resource fork around and must not remove it, or the video will no longer play.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 12:38 AM in response to jakefromatlanta

The videos that no longer play may be using a codec, that is no longer supported after the Catalina upgrade. You can see the codec of your videos in the Info for a video, if you select the video in Photos and enter the keyboard shortcut ⌘i.

The codec will be shown in the second brick of the Info, to the left of the tiny camera icon:

On Catalina, the videos encoded as HEVC or H.264 should be playing well. You may want to compare the codecs you are seeing to this list for iMovie: About incompatible media in iMovie for macOS - Apple Support (the paragraph "Formats compatible with Catalina").

Another possible reasons for videos not playing could simply be, that iCloud Photos has become enabled on your Mac. You may want to check the Photos > Preferences > iCloud, if iCloud Photos is enabled. Videos that have not been downloaded from iCloud, may give the error message about a missing resource.

As a test - can you play the videos in QuickTime Player, if you export a video from Photos with "File > Export > Export unmodified original"?

Does QuickTime Player give an error message? If yes, what is the error message?

Do you still have the original iPhoto Library or did you remove it? I am asking, because for videos using a container format (MOV, AVI, MP4) the video component may have been referenced and stored outside the MOV or AVI container. Then you need to keep then original with the resource fork around and must not remove it, or the video will no longer play.

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.