Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover the whatsapp chat data deleted from icloud?

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 5:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2020 1:16 AM

yes please help.. i am still waiting for help or miracle for my whatsapp!! i reset my all settings & content many time but its showing the same error of "couldn't restore chat history". please help!

9 replies

Oct 30, 2020 5:52 AM in response to SalmanNasir1

I assume if you go to Settings > Your Name > iCloud that you A) have iCloud Drive enabled, and B) it's showing at least 40GB+ of current iCloud Drive usage (not "iCloud usage, but "iCloud Drive" usage specifically)?

Here is there official guidance:

https://faq.whatsapp.com/iphone/chats/how-to-restore-your-chat-history

They say you are supposed to have over 2x available free space? To me this makes no sense (?), but that would imply you need 80GB free to restore your 40GB backup? Do you have a 128GB or larger iPhone? Or only 64GB or 32GB?

Here is my idea for you:

1. Make a backup of your iPhone to a computer (Mac or Windows PC using iTunes for Windows) using a USB cable. [if possible]
  2. Turn off Find My iPhone.
  3. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content & Settings.
  4. When your iPhone restarts do not sign into your Apple ID. Just skip/don't sign in and set it up as a new iPhone so you can get to your home screen and keeping your iPhone completely empty.
  5. Then go to Settings > Your Name and sign into your Apple ID but leave OFF all iCloud settings off EXCEPT for "iCloud Drive". You must have "iCloud Drive" turned on. Make sure you are signed into "Media & Purchases" (or iTunes and App Store, same thing) with your Apple ID.
  6. Reinstall WhatsApp from the App Store and see if you can now restore your WhatsApp backup on iCloud Drive.

From what I can see this is your absolutely best chance. Please update here though and let me know if this works or not, and let me know if you have other data (and what kind) that you really care about or not (mostly referring to app-specific data).

Oct 30, 2020 9:12 AM in response to SalmanNasir1

So it just appears then that things are messed up with no particular good cause. My best suggestion would be looking at data recovery software for PC or Mac that is designed to pull the encrypted WhatsApp data store from your iCloud Drive. For example, I do see there is this one: https://www.elcomsoft.com/exwa.html although I would imagine there are others.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.