Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer of information seems to be stopped ... what do I do?

Migration of information from old iMac to new iMac seems to have stopped ... What do I do now?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 12:42 PM

How long has it been going, if it is over 20 hours then shut down the new Mac, disconnect the cable and startup the new machine.

The most reliable method of using Migration Assistant (and Setup Assistant) is to connect the old Mac's Time Machine EHD using a USB cable to the new Mac and migrate from that. Using Ethernet or connection from Mac to Mac is iffy. Using Wi-Fi fails almost 100% of the time. The method I suggested above is simple and it just works, 100% of the time assuming the TM EHD does not have a fault.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 12:42 PM in response to rdobson

How long has it been going, if it is over 20 hours then shut down the new Mac, disconnect the cable and startup the new machine.

The most reliable method of using Migration Assistant (and Setup Assistant) is to connect the old Mac's Time Machine EHD using a USB cable to the new Mac and migrate from that. Using Ethernet or connection from Mac to Mac is iffy. Using Wi-Fi fails almost 100% of the time. The method I suggested above is simple and it just works, 100% of the time assuming the TM EHD does not have a fault.

Transfer of information seems to be stopped ... what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.