Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio problems after editing clip length

Sometimes when editing the length of audio clips, iMovie randomly doesn't play the audio when in the timeline, but consistently works just fine in both the Library and in basic storage (such as Desktop)

And when it doesn't play the audio, it never consistently comes back, no matter what I do.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 9:26 PM

Try redownloading iMovie.

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

— Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2020 9:26 PM in response to MugenKagemaru

Try redownloading iMovie.

To update/redownload iMovie 10, drag your iMovie 10 app from the Applications folder into the trash, but do not empty the

trash. Sign in to the app store and open your purchases folder by clicking on your name at the bottom of the app store side bar. You will see your purchases displayed, including iMovie 10. Redownload/update iMovie from there. If not successful, drag your present iMovie app out of the trash and return it to the Applications folder.

— Rich

Sep 15, 2020 3:17 PM in response to MugenKagemaru

Hi, MugenKagemaru,

Your iMovie app is not functioning correctly. The audio should play after editing the clips. Possibly a corrupt preference is causing this issue. Try deleting preferences. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see whether the audio plays after editing.

Another possibility is that the problem is confined to just one project. Try creating a new project and placing your media into it and see if the audio plays when you edit it.

-- Rich

Sep 15, 2020 8:15 PM in response to Rich839

Sadly, it did nothing.

Furthermore, this is actually the second project off the top of my head (there might have been more) where this has happened.

I do know that the audio files used to be video files, but iMovie has no problem converting them, from what I've seen. It's usually some time AFTER they're in the timeline that the issue occurs.

Sometimes a flawed fix would have been to re-record the audio I need, but this is quite a bit of them in this project, so I really hope it won't come to that, as it would require some annoying factors I usually don't need to worry about...

Audio problems after editing clip length

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.