Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When trying to detach audio from a video clip, there are no audio bars in the green track. The video does have audio when I play from my computer downloads. Any ideas why?

When trying to detach audio from a video clip, there are no audio bars in the green track. The video does have audio when I play from my computer downloads. Any ideas why?

I've done this successfully before, but am not able to troubleshoot why the audio would not carry over from my video into iMovie. Note: When I try to play the video from the Media section, there is also no audio.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 9:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 10:13 PM

It might be a corrupt iMovie preference. Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen

your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, make sure that your software is up to date.

Also, it might be that the video sound is not in a format that is compatible with iMovie. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC. Try converting your clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 10:13 PM in response to hawksag

It might be a corrupt iMovie preference. Try deleting preferences and see if that solves it. Open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen

your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

If no luck, make sure that your software is up to date.

Also, it might be that the video sound is not in a format that is compatible with iMovie. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC. Try converting your clip to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake. Do that even if the codec already is indicated to be Mp4/AAC. Re-rendering often cures the issue.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into iMovie.

-- Rich

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.