Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Bar Display in iMovie

The audio bar does not display below my video clips in iMovie. The toggle switch shown on the tutorial I am watching is not on the screen anywhere. How do I access audio editing in iMovie?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on May 4, 2022 3:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 8:31 AM

Howdy Cindi2022,

Thanks for updating us with this information, and great question!

In regards to the title of the audio clip, this would be referencing either the day and time that the audio was created or align with the day and time of the video being recorded. This helps you to reference the audio if you're using multiple different audio files with the iMovie project.

As for what you're seeing within the screenshot, this appears to be expected. You wouldn't see a sound wave as you're using iMovie on an iPhone. Check out the following resource which also has screenshots to compare with yours and let us know if you have additional questions: Edit audio clips in iMovie on iPhone - Apple Support

Take care!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Cindi2022

Howdy Cindi2022,

Thanks for updating us with this information, and great question!

In regards to the title of the audio clip, this would be referencing either the day and time that the audio was created or align with the day and time of the video being recorded. This helps you to reference the audio if you're using multiple different audio files with the iMovie project.

As for what you're seeing within the screenshot, this appears to be expected. You wouldn't see a sound wave as you're using iMovie on an iPhone. Check out the following resource which also has screenshots to compare with yours and let us know if you have additional questions: Edit audio clips in iMovie on iPhone - Apple Support

Take care!

May 5, 2022 8:24 AM in response to Cindi2022

Hello Cindi2022,

Thanks for choosing the Apple Support Communities. I access sound in your video clips in iMovie, look for the blue bar under the video clip. Also, you can right click or Control + Click and detach the audio and it will display just under the video. More info on editing audio in iMovie can be found here:

Edit audio clips in iMovie on iPhone - Apple Support

Cheers!

May 5, 2022 2:50 PM in response to Cindi2022

Hello Cindi2022,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. The green bar means you have it set up as background music. Foreground audio should show in blue or purple. Try to move the audio to the foreground using the steps below and let us know if you still can't see the blue or purple bar.

Move the audio to the background or foreground

To make sure that the sound in your video clips can be heard over the background music, iMovie applies audio “ducking” to background music. Ducking lowers the volume of background music clips whenever there’s a video clip whose sound is playing at the same time.
You can choose which audio clips are in the background or foreground (you can have three foreground audio clips and one background audio clip playing at any given time).
-Tap an audio clip in the timeline to reveal the inspector at the bottom of the screen.
-Tap the Actions button , then tap Background or Foreground.
The color of the clip changes to indicate whether it’s background music (green) or foreground audio (blue or purple).

Edit audio clips in iMovie on iPhone

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

May 7, 2022 8:15 AM in response to nbotros

This video has both background and actual audio. The blue bar doesn't show the sound wave or allow selecting audio clips for editing. The audio wave icon to turn on the audio wave is still nowhere on my screen. I'm also perplexed that the blue bar is labelled "Video and the date". Is that a name for the audio track? 

Audio Bar Display in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.