Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing Files over WiFi

My wife and I got new iMacs. We used to be able to share files over our WiFi network. We can see each other's computer in Finder. We can Connect to each other's computer. We can see the Documents folder, but open each other's Documents folder.

(Actually not much sharing - usually we just want to copy an updated version to the other person's computer)

We have Documents listed in System Preference under Sharing.

Posted on Sep 15, 2020 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 8:23 AM

Mr Hoffman - unfortunately I was unable to solve the problem - maybe I did not do things correctly.

That said there is a solution I am entering incase people find this thread by searching

Before I tell the "secret" here is the list of stuff that AppleCare had me do which did not solve the problem, but may have been necessary. Reset PRAM. Reset GSM. Reinstalled MacOS

What worked :

#1. Open File sharing and click on the ? in a circle for directions on File sharing - I had done all that and some of that was included in your suggestions.

#2. Remove the check mark from the box to disable File Sharing.

#3. Restart the Mac

#4. Open System Preferences again and re-enable File sharing.

#5. Repeat sets 2, 3 & 4 above on the other computer you wish to file share with.

#6. If may be necessary to change the default login names - my wife's computer started with her User name to get into my computer. I needed to change that to my User name.

Also if the computer than does not appear in the list of locations, you can get there by drilling down from "Network" which will appear in the list of locations in finder. In my case once the connection was made once, my wife's computer' listing in Locations was established.

Thanks for your help last night.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2020 8:23 AM in response to MrHoffman

Mr Hoffman - unfortunately I was unable to solve the problem - maybe I did not do things correctly.

That said there is a solution I am entering incase people find this thread by searching

Before I tell the "secret" here is the list of stuff that AppleCare had me do which did not solve the problem, but may have been necessary. Reset PRAM. Reset GSM. Reinstalled MacOS

What worked :

#1. Open File sharing and click on the ? in a circle for directions on File sharing - I had done all that and some of that was included in your suggestions.

#2. Remove the check mark from the box to disable File Sharing.

#3. Restart the Mac

#4. Open System Preferences again and re-enable File sharing.

#5. Repeat sets 2, 3 & 4 above on the other computer you wish to file share with.

#6. If may be necessary to change the default login names - my wife's computer started with her User name to get into my computer. I needed to change that to my User name.

Also if the computer than does not appear in the list of locations, you can get there by drilling down from "Network" which will appear in the list of locations in finder. In my case once the connection was made once, my wife's computer' listing in Locations was established.

Thanks for your help last night.

Sharing Files over WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.