Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FINDER not finding

If I search for an item I know exists, the finder does not find it. Just to be sure I opened a folder. Typed the name of an item in that folder, and finder still does not find it. I have run searches from within the laptop and on external drives. Finder has located some older files, but nothing new.

I did find a few discussions on this issue, but all were 10+ years old.

I am on a 2019 MacBook pro; Catalina 10.15.5

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 6:51 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Oct 23, 2020 1:05 PM in response to Old Toad

So far none of this is helping. As mentioned, I have updated to the most recent Catalina update (10.15.7) just recently.

What puzzles me is that it was working in part, but since I followed the directions How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support, Finder is not finding anything at all.

Should I attempt to rebuild the Spotlight index again? Is there any way to know that the index has been rebuilt (or not). I've had macs for decades, but never had this issue. (Actually I've never had a mac so buggy until the one I purchased last year.)

Oct 23, 2020 1:50 PM in response to Alien Duck

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Oct 23, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ok, I tried rebuilding according to the link Grant provided. Since I was rebuilding all of my drives I figured this would take some time, so I've given it more than a month. The problem still persists. I recently updated to the most recent version of Catalina. Nothing has changed. See the images below: one is the contents of a folder, and the other is search results for the first item in the folder.

Oct 23, 2020 9:16 AM in response to Alien Duck

You need to inform Finder that it should search in the current folder first. Finder Preferences : Advanced :

Here is an example, where I switch to a folder named LaunchAs in my home folder. I then enter the name screen in that FInder window search, and the results are shown below:

If I also wanted to see other "screen" items outside of the LaunchAS folder, I could click on This Mac. The most appropriate search would have been name:screen which would have found that string in the filename only.

FINDER not finding

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.