Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search in Finder window doesn't find what I can find manually!

I am struggling to find files using the search bar in the finder window. I am searching in the correct folder where I know the file does exist, however it doesn't pop up. Can anyone help??

I have encountered this issue on both an early 2015 MacBook Air and a brand new 2020 MacBook Pro, both with Catalina 10.15.4.

Some points that I have already considered:

• The file I am looking for and folder I am looking in are both on an external hard drive that is plugged into my computer.
  • I have inspected the selection of "current folder" versus "This Mac" and "current folder is selected, where I know the file by manual inspection.

For further clarity, look to the attached photo and see the file path in the bottom window shows that the file is indeed on my hard drive, "KJS Rugged". Note also that the search, in the top window, is performed in "KJS Rugged", yet this file does not pop up.

Thanks.

Kyle

MacBook

Posted on May 9, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2020 12:05 PM

If the external USB drive is capable of being indexed by Spotlight, then drag and drop its mounted image onto the Spotlight Privacy panel, wait five seconds, and then remove it from there. If it is a big drive, Spotlight indexing could consume considerable time. When the drive light stops continuously winking, the indexing may be done.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2020 12:05 PM in response to ksmith1281

If the external USB drive is capable of being indexed by Spotlight, then drag and drop its mounted image onto the Spotlight Privacy panel, wait five seconds, and then remove it from there. If it is a big drive, Spotlight indexing could consume considerable time. When the drive light stops continuously winking, the indexing may be done.

May 9, 2020 11:01 AM in response to ksmith1281

That external mounted drive needs to be indexed beforehand by Spotlight before that Finder Window can find anything on it, and depending on whether that external drive has a formatting that Spotlight can index.

There is a method in the madness of Spotlight searching further aided by reading the Finder's Narrow your search results on Mac, and the individual search result categories that you have selected in Spotlight Preferences.

With proper indexing, and the drive mounted, I would search (case-insensitive) for your highlighted .wav file as:

kind:audio +.wav name:"13 all will be well vmc2"

I have narrowed the search to a specific kind of audio file, and the name operator to focus on file or folder name strings. Just typing in the unquoted, text string tells Spotlight to search for each chunk of text which will be frustrating. Once can also use just name:.wav to see all these type of audio files.

May 9, 2020 11:34 AM in response to VikingOSX

Yeah I was realizing as I was typing out this question that the commonality was the hard drive. So when I get a new hard drive, is there a protocol that one does to ensure it is searchable? I frequently work off of various hard drives that I need to quickly search for files.

I did see one article (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716) that suggested I fix this by going to System Preferences, Spotlight, Privacy Tab, and drag my Hard Drive to this open window to "prevent Spotlight from searching these locations", then remove it. Supposedly this method will "index" my Hard Drive. In your understanding, will this work?

Thanks!

Kyle

Search in Finder window doesn't find what I can find manually!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.