Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with iTunes being phased out

Hi... sorry for the slow uptake with iTunes being phased out but I need help understanding what this means for my music library, i.e. all the music I purchased over the years. I've tried finding answers online but still a little confused. I understand Apple have replaced iTunes with 3 separate applications with similar functionality, however, I believe you now have to pay a monthly subscription to Apple Music to be able to play music you've already purchased? Correct me if I'm wrong but if so then really... pffffft... what a rip off!!! I won't be doing this...

Anyway, what I want to know is how do I make sure I don't lose my music and how do I play it now without iTunes if I refuse to pay for a monthly Apple Music subscription? Can I download it to my Mac and play it with another application? Also, not sure how to play it on my iPhone

Thanks in advance.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 12:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 1:24 AM

eco girl wrote:

Hi... sorry for the slow uptake with iTunes being phased out but I need help understanding what this means for my music library, i.e. all the music I purchased over the years. I've tried finding answers online but still a little confused. I understand Apple have replaced iTunes with 3 separate applications with similar functionality

Correct, see : What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

I believe you now have to pay a monthly subscription to Apple Music to be able to play music you've already purchased?

Not sure where you've got that from but it's wrong, Apple Music is still just an optional subscription and is separate to store purchases.

Can I download it to my Mac and play it with another application? Also, not sure how to play it on my iPhone

If you've upgrade your Mac you can use the Music app as per my above link, and sync it to your phone via Finder

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 1:24 AM in response to eco girl

eco girl wrote:

Hi... sorry for the slow uptake with iTunes being phased out but I need help understanding what this means for my music library, i.e. all the music I purchased over the years. I've tried finding answers online but still a little confused. I understand Apple have replaced iTunes with 3 separate applications with similar functionality

Correct, see : What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support

I believe you now have to pay a monthly subscription to Apple Music to be able to play music you've already purchased?

Not sure where you've got that from but it's wrong, Apple Music is still just an optional subscription and is separate to store purchases.

Can I download it to my Mac and play it with another application? Also, not sure how to play it on my iPhone

If you've upgrade your Mac you can use the Music app as per my above link, and sync it to your phone via Finder

Sep 23, 2020 7:58 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thanks @King_Penguin, I've attached 2 screen shots from Apple Music that led me to believe it is free for the first 3 months and then you have to pay a monthly subscription...

I have since opened the Music application on my Mac, found my music and was able to play it. I'll follow the link you provided to see if I can make sense of the changes... but I did do quite a bit of searching online before I posted here.

Help with iTunes being phased out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.